Welcome to CRIU, a project to implement checkpoint/restore functionality for Linux in userspace.
Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace, or CRIU (pronounced kree-oo, IPA: /krɪʊ/, Russian: криу), is a software tool for Linux operating system. Using this tool, you can freeze a running application (or part of it) and checkpoint it to a hard drive as a collection of files. You can then use the files to restore and run the application from the point it was frozen at. The distinctive feature of the CRIU project is that it is mainly implemented in user space.
- Usage scenarios
- Ideas how criu can be used (some are crazy indeed)
- Collection of real world examples of how to use CRIU. Some are complex, some are not. HOW TO dump a simple loop might be the best one to start with. Also a set of asciinema records for real-life examples.
- Collection of pages about CRIU's API.
- When C/R fails
- A sort of troubleshooting guide
- What can change after C/R
- CRIU cannot (yet) save and restore every single bit of tasks' state. This page describes what bits visible through standard kernel API are such.
- What cannot be checkpointed
- What an application could do to make CRIU refuse to dump it.
- Ways to communicate with CRIU community
If you're interested in CRIU development, please subscribe to the criu mailing list: https://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/criu
- Description of image files format
- CRIU can call plugins provided by people
- Upstream kernel commits
- Mainline kernel commits tracker
- Recent commits
- CRIU tool repository commits
- Kernel's manpages commits tracker
- ZDTM Test Suite
- Zero downtime test suite
- Current TODO list
- User namespace
- Implementing user namespace support
- What to keep in mind when writing new code
- Code coverage results
- Shows how zdtm run covers the criu code paths
- 2016-06-22, Usenix: Instant OS Updates via Userspace Checkpoint-and-Restart
- 2015-12-31, Use the CRIU Docker container of stop / resume to the challenge
- 2015-12-31, How Containers Will Change the Game Server Hosting Industry
- 2015-09-21, Checkpoint and restore Docker container with CRIU
- 2015-09-21, Dolly Demo at LinuxCon: Rapid cloning of existing services with runC
- 2015-09-10, Time Traveling in Node.js Notebooks
- 2015-01-01, Containers: Why They’re in Your Future and What Has to Happen First
- 2015-07-01, How did the Quake demo from DockerCon Work?
- 2015-05-06, Live Migration in LXD Ubuntu Insignts
- 2015-04-22, Dump, debug, resume process with criu TuxDiary
- 2014-09-31, Parallels Surpasses One Million Deployed Virtual Containers
- 2014-08-01, ADMIN magazine: Save and Restore Linux Processes with CRIU
- 2014-02-15, OCCAM Reproduce: Efficient, Accurate and Reproducible Simulation of Multi-Threaded Workloads (slides)
- 2013-11-25, Phoronix: Checkpoint-Restore Hits v1.0: Freeze Your Linux Apps
- 2013-11-25, LWN: A note about 1.0
- 2013-10-29, LWN: Kernel summit report
- 2013-02-01, A blog post upon LCA-2013 talk.
- 2013-01-09, LWN: Checkpoint/restore and signals
- 2012-11-20, LWN: LCE: Checkpoint/restore in user space: are we there yet?
- 2012-05-01, LWN: TCP connection repair
- 2012-01-31, LWN: Preparing for user-space checkpoint/restore
- 2011-07-19, LWN: Checkpoint/restart (mostly) in user space
- 2012-07-24, OpenVZ blog: CRtools 0.1 released!
- 2016-03-24, Физтех.Радио: https://vk.com/wall-24086381_35574
- 2015-07-17, DevZen podcast: Episode 50
- 2015-06-17, DevOps Дефлопе: #021 - нет больше CP и AP
- 2015-04-29, FLOSS Weekly: #334 CRIU
- 2014-08-02, Radio-T: #433
- 2014-12-22, Software Development podcast: SDcast #15
- 2014-12-04, DevOps Дефлопе: 015 - Из самого сердца Докера