Welcome to CRIU, a project to implement checkpoint/restore functionality for Linux in userspace.
Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace, or CRIU (pronounced kree-oo, IPA: /krɪʊ/, Russian: криу), is a software tool for Linux operating system. Using this tool, you can freeze a running application (or part of it) and checkpoint it to a hard drive as a collection of files. You can then use the files to restore and run the application from the point it was frozen at. The distinctive feature of the CRIU project is that it is mainly implemented in user space.
- Usage scenarios
- Ideas how criu can be used (some are crazy indeed)
- Collection of real world examples of how to use CRIU. Some are complex, some are not. HOW TO dump a simple loop might be the best one to start with. Also a set of asciinema records for real-life examples.
- Collection of pages about CRIU's API.
- When C/R fails
- A sort of troubleshooting guide
- What can change after C/R
- CRIU cannot (yet) save and restore every single bit of tasks' state. This page describes what bits visible through standard kernel API are such.
- What cannot be checkpointed
- What an application could do to make CRIU refuse to dump it.
If you're interested in CRIU development, please subscribe to the criu mailing list: http://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/criu
- Description of image files format
- CRIU can call plugins provided by people
- Upstream kernel commits
- Mainline kernel commits tracker
- Recent commits
- CRIU tool repository commits
- Kernel's manpages commits tracker
- ZDTM Test Suite
- Zero downtime test suite
- Current TODO list
- User namespace
- Implementing user namespace support
- What to keep in mind when writing new code
- Code coverage results
- Shows how zdtm run covers the criu code paths
- v1.0 article on Phoronix
- A note about 1.0 on LWN
- Kernel summit report from LWN
- Feb 01, 2013, A blog post upon LCA-2013 talk.
- Jan 09, 2013, LWN: Checkpoint/restore and signals
- Nov 20, 2012, LWN: LCE: Checkpoint/restore in user space: are we there yet?
- May 01, 2012, LWN: TCP connection repair
- Jan 31, 2012, LWN: Preparing for user-space checkpoint/restore
- Jul 19, 2011, LWN Checkpoint/restart (mostly) in user space
- Wikipedia: en:CRIU, ru:CRIU
- OpenVZ blog: CRtools 0.1 released! (+ LWN.net repost, + this repost)
- Debian includes crtools package